Thursday, January 14, 2010

Yele Haiti


So, wow, watching the news last night was heartwrenching. I fought the urge to turn it off several times. Changing the channel or simply turning off what I couldn't handle seemed even more cruel than watching in horror. Like any parent, the images of children suffering hit the hardest. Then the statistics came...don't quote me but I believe I heard that 39% of Haiti's population is under the age of 15. I can't deal with knowing that unless I try to help in some way. Wyclef Jean, (former Fugee) is Haitian born, Brooklyn bred. A song he wrote 8 or 9 years ago about Haiti, "Yele", has always been one of my favorites. He sings it in Creole and it is fantastic. He also started an organization a few years back called Yele Haiti. Its/his mission is to help lift Haitians up by infiltrating the smaller, most impoverished communities the larger aid organizations often can't or don't get to. This is not a fly by night operation but an established .org that is endorsed/approved by national media as one worth giving to. You can verify that by visiting http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/01/13/haiti.earthquake.how.to.help/index.html?hpt=T2 or by Googling etc.

If you can and/or are so inclined, consider making a donation at http://www.yele.org/
Randomly, here's a video I found of two white chicks singing their version of Clef's "Yele". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soE3yuBjbQU

Kick your volume up. It takes them a bit to warm up but they definitely do it justice. I say it 30x times a day but how fabulous is technology??!?

No comments:

Post a Comment