Thursday, December 17, 2009

Spike the Ultra-Dinosaur


Spike was an early find this holiday season. Standing over 2 ft tall, roaring and stomping with the best of them in his display case at Target, he was quite a sight to behold. Devlyn was enamored. And at $139.99, that was about all we were going to see of Spike. Christmas budgets are holding tight this year and ours is no different. Santa was done. The loopty-loop car track had been acquired. All other wish lists long since prioritized and reconciled. Enter the Toys R Us "Deal of the Day", an e-newsletter "Santa" unknowingly signed up for long ago. All of the sudden I am that lady...printing out e-coupons, planning bank runs and client meetings around a clandestine road trip to the nearest Toys R Us. Hours of calling to ensure limited quantities have not sold out are met with nothing but the endless drone of a busy signal. Before you know it, I'm in the fight of my life, two store managers bear down - gasp - my e-coupon does not bear the proper UPC. I'm plead with them, "That's how it arrived in my inbox!" I declare, "I'm not leaving this store without Spike the Ultra Dinosaur at the sale price!" It ended well. Spike completed the final leg of his journey, from the trunk of my car to a deftly designed hiding place in our closet, just minutes ago. And this Santa knows that Spike is the spark that will take this Christmas from memorable to magical for two little boys in Raleigh : )

2 comments:

  1. Aww - cute story! Totally sounds like the lengths I would go to for Walkie! We just spoil these little guys don't we??? But it is so worth it! Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas. BTW - did you see the post and pic I did on my blog about your MIL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to excuse my late responses. For some reason I am very not tech savvy when it comes to participating in blog culture. I vow to get better at this! I did read your post about the photograph which really is phenomenal. If I look that good at 70ish someone had better take an equally flattering photo! I loved everything you said as well - all of those descriptors/attributes are dead on knowinng what I know of all three women. Well, I hope this goes through and thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete