Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Equal Opportunity Employer


Do you ever wish your household was an equal opportunity employer?

My husband is a wonderful man. He’s a hands on parent who helps out around the house and takes great care to guide our two sons with lots of love, fun and massive amounts of patience (major plus as I have none). But something tells me his inner dialogue while showering doesn't sound like this...

“Blake has one clean onesie left, Devlyn’s pre-school sing-a-long/pie tasting is tomorrow at 11 and Friday is “wear brown” day….we’re out of Half and Half, toilet paper and bananas, need to pop a check in the mail to Grandma for the $40 we owe her…hey, you know what? whosie whatsie from Company B never emailed me back with that estimate! Ok, pull chicken out of the freezer for dinner tonight, get Devlyn started on thank you notes for his birthday and, oh crap, I’ve got to make some time to re-evaluate our health insurance that’s set to go up 25% in January, the bastards.”

Managing family life and motherhood in a dual income household has transformed me into an idiot savant multi-tasker. All work and not much play has caused me to feel like a very dull girl! I count a brief but complete fascination with John Mayer and picking blueberries by kayak this summer as the two most exciting things I’ve done for myself all year : ( Similar sentiments from fellow Moms and the oh so resounding “Mad at Dad” series in Parents magazine recently inspired me to quit griping about the problem and launch a household experiment to see what can be done about it. I'm not buying the “afraid to give up control” angle that some experts tout. I think the "inner workings of Mommydom" are instinct driven abilities that women are born with. Whether those abilities can be extracted, taught and effectively absorbed by your spouse remains to be seen. Stay tuned!

Would now be a good time to mention that my husband is the one who’s always encouraged me to start blogging?

1 comment: